Cliveden stands on a high wooded plateau overlooking the River Thames. The name "Cliveden" (formerly Cliffden or Clyveden) means "valley among cliffs". The original house was built in 1666. Charles Bridgeman designed walks and avenues. The present house and garden were designed by Sir Charles Barry in 1849. The garden is in the Italian mode of the nineteenth century Mixed Style. A balustrade was brought from the garden of the Villa Borghese, in Rome, in 1896. Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe designed a Rose Garden for Lord Astor in 1959.
Taplow, Maidenhead, Buckinghamshire, England, SL6 0JA
Mid February to December. Daily. Woodlands open all year except Christmas period. Open 10am - see Cliveden website for closing times - varies with season.
Adult (Gardens and woodlands) £9.90 Child (Gardens and woodlands) £4.95 Family (Gardens and woodlands) £24.75