Gardenvisit.com The Garden Guide

Kylemore Abbey Garden

A Benedictine Abbey with a 6 acre Victorian Walled Garden, under restoration, facing Diamond Hill. A stream divides the Walled Garden into its two distinct areas - the Kitchen Garden and the Flower Garden. The planting style in the Flower Garden is that of the late Victorian era. The original garden, which is completely enclosed by a brick and limestone wall, was constucted around 1870 and laid out by the head gardener, James Garnier. The original 21 glasshouses were designed by Cranstons of Birmingham, two of which have now been restored. The building was originally known as Kylemore Castle and only became known as Kylemore Abbey in the 1920s when the community of nuns arrived after fleeing Ypres (Belgium) during the First World War.

Photograph © Kylemore Abbey
Photograph © Amanda Davey/Tilia Services
Photograph © Amanda Davey/Tilia Services
Photograph © Amanda Davey/Tilia Services
Photograph © Kylemore Abbey
Photograph © Amanda Davey/Tilia Services

History

Built in tandem with Kylemore Castle in the late 17th Century by wealthy business man, Mitchell Henry and his wife.

Kylemore, Connemara, Co. Galway, County Galway, Ireland

Mid March to end October. Daily. Open 10am to 5pm.

Adult €12.00 (also includes visit to Abbey, Gothic Church and Mausoleum), Craft Shop, Restaurant and Pottery Studio.

Visit the Kylemore Abbey Garden website

Nearby gardens

Nearby hotels

Local Hotels