231. The garden of the Elysee Bourbon (fig. 58.) belongs to a palace of that name, and is situated in the Rue du Faubourg St. Honore. It was laid out by the architect Belanger, and contains a long glade of lawn (a); with a straight covered walk (b); and open winding walks (c); shady winding walks (d); a piece of water with an island (e); and a handsome terrace in front of the palace (f). As far as design is concerned, the ground is made the most of; but it was planted at a time when little regard was had, and as little opportunity afforded, for the introduction of American shrubs. In 1828, we found this garden in excellent order; and in 1848, it was kept up as usual. This palace, which is now called the Elysee National, has acquired a sort of historical interest from its having been the last palace inhabited by the Emperor Napoleon before he abdicated in favour of the King of Rome; and from its being the first occupied by Louis Napoleon after his election to be President of the French Republic in December, 1848. It was also occupied by Napoleon during the hundred days; and it was the residence of the Due de Berri at the time of his murder in February, 1820. It originally belonged to Count d'Evreux, by whom it was sold to Aladame de Pompadour, who died there in 1764.