Dutch Botanic Gardens

Previous Page - Next Page

178.The Antwerp Garden was formerly one of considerable repute in the Low Countries. The gardens of Clifford, near Haarlem, of which Linnᄉus published the history, were the most celebrated in 1737. Clifford got all the new plants from England, and corresponded with the botanists of every country. Boerhaave gave him the plants of the Leyden garden; Siegesbeck sent him those of Russia; Haller, those of the Alps; and Burman, Roell, Gronovius, and Miller sent him portions of the seeds which they received from different parts of the world. This garden had four magnificent hothouses; one for the plants of the Levant and the south of Europe, one for Africa, one for India, and one for America. The botanic garden of Utrecht was founded in 1630, and contains several palms and other exotics, brought there at that time. Henricus Regius was appointed the professor, and published Hortus Academicus Ultrajectinus, 8vo, 1650. The garden is still kept in tolerable order, but displays no kind of scientific arrangement, (Neill's Hort. Tour, p. 244.)