The Landscape Guide

Burgess Park

Land was zoned for a new park on this site in 1943 and the site is gradually being cleared of housing and industry. By 1982, 27 of the 56 hectares had been developed. The most interesting features to see are; the new entrance from the Old Kent Road and the lake which was opened in 1982. Much remains to be done if a really good modern park is to be created. For many years the park was funded, and designed, by the GLC. It passed to the London Borough of Southwark afte the demise of the GLC and in the 1990s it was taken over by the Groundwork Trust. Several unsuccessful applications for funding have been made. Access from Old Kent Road.

Back to Homepage

Goto map ref no. 27