One of London's great nineteenth century public parks. It was laid out between 1846 and 1864 to designs by James Pennethorne and John Gibson. The site, which was originally flat and swampy, was built up using material excavated from the Royal Victoria Dock and supplied free of charge by Thomas Cubitt. Battersea retains many typically Victorian park features including a serpentine carriage drive, a formal avenue, an irregular lake, flower gardens and shrubberies. The profit which was made on the terraced houses in Albert Bridge Road and Prince of Wales Drive helped to pay for the park which they overlook. In 1951 the Festival of Britain Pleasure Gardens (design by James Gardener) were laid out in Battersea Park and the fountains survive.There is a Peace Pavilion beside the River Thames. Wandsworth Council, with consultancy advice from Derek Lovejoy and Partners are restoring the park. An exhibition about the park's history can be seen in the Park's Pump House. Battersea SW3.