The digging of the Grand Surrey Canal began in 1801. It extended from Surray Quays via Surrey Dock and Russia Dock to the basin on which Peckham Library was built. The canal was closed in 1971 and filled in 1974. In 1995 Southwark Council set about making the route into what is now the Surrey Canal Walkway. It is an attractive well used space, though it would no doubt have been more attractive and even better used if the water had been kept.
The greenway, which is not officially called a greenway, is designated as part of the London Cycle Network and also as a Peckham Quiet Route. London needs a network of places like this.
See comment on London Greenways.
The Surrey Canal Walk passing under a former canal bridge. The space is shared by cyclists and pedestrians.