A Royal Park and one of the most romantic urban landscapes in Europe. The area was originally a swamp, subject to flooding from the Tyburn stream which still flows through the lake. Its 40 hectares were first made into a park with a rigidly formal design in 1660. Charles II had a long canal excavated from the watery land and introduced the geese, pelicans and waterfowl which are still there today. The park was completely re-designed by John Nash (1828) in the English landscape style which he had learned through his association with the Reptons. The subtlety of the contouring is notable and the view from the new bridge (1956) across the lake to the Horse Guards and Whitehall is justly famous. The park is now cared for with advice from Colvin and Moggridge, landscape architects. It is the editor's choice as the most beautiful and interesting park in London. Access from The Mall or Birdcage Walk.
See eBook chapter: Alicia Amherst on St James's Park, London, in 1907