Sloane Square was merely a road junction for over 200 years (of King's Road, Cliveden Place, Sloane Street and Lower Sloane Street). The 'square', which is rectangular, was created in the 1930s. 'Traffic island' might be a more accurate description but it is pleasantly designed and surprisingly well used. The Venus Fountain (installed in 1953) was made by Gilbert Ledward. In 2003 the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea published its consultation ideas for a re-design of Sloane Square.