A Royal Park encircled by white Regency terraces which are seen across the lake, over the lawns and through the trees. It was laid out (1812-1830) to increase the developer's profit on the terraces, and is the culmination of the scheme which runs from St. James's Park via Regent Street and Portland Place (see also Regent Street entry). John Nash had overall responsibility for the park and, having quarreled with Humphry Repton, employed his son (John Adey Repton) to help with the project. Nash's architecture and Repton's landscape concept have joined town and country in a way which has had a profound influence on twentieth century planning.
See eBook chapter: Alicia Amherst on Regent's Park, London, in 1907