Cavendish Square dates from 1717. The elegant facades of two of the houses on the north side of the Square are relics of a great mansion begun in 1720 for the Duke of Chandos. Lady Mary Wortley Montagu lived in No. 5 from 1723-1730 and Nelson here in 1787.
The garden was originally a circle of grass on which sheep grazed. It was then designed as a garden by Charles Bridgeman.
In 1971 a large underground car park was built beneath Cavendish Square and Michael Brown re-designed the gardens. There are some areas of his trademark engineering brick paving. The low ring-mound is popular with sunbathers.