Cannizaro takes its name from a Sicilian - the Duke of Cannizaro - who lived here in the nineteenth century. The house dates from 1705 and the present Arts and Crafts style gardens were developed by Kenneth and Adela Wilson between 1920 and 1947. The estate was taken over by Wimbledon Council in 1949 with the gardens becoming a public park. The gardens are a registered historic garden now managed by Merton Council.
The house was used as a retirement home and then an arts centre. In 1987 the house opened as a hotel - and a pleasant place for hotel guests who like to be surrounded by gardens. For landscape architects it is interesting to see a former stately home now operating as two land uses (hotel and public garden) which work well together.