After the passage of the Town and Country Planning Act 1947, each local authority was required to produce a development plan. The LCC plan was published in 1951 as the Administrative County of London Development Plan.8 The open space section was based on the concept of Open Space Deficiency. It was stated that ‘In July, 1945, the Council adopted the principle of the standard of four acres (1.62 ha) per 1,000 population plus three acres (1.21 ha) outside the Administrative County.’ However, in view of the enormity of the task, the LCC also agreed to an interim target of two- and-a-half acres (1.01 ha) per 1000 population open space in those areas where the present provision was below this target. Twelve boroughs had less than one acre of open space per 1000 population. Improvements began.
When a Review of the 1951 plan was carried out in 1960, the LCC gave statistical details of the new open spaces which had been created during the decade.9 The total area of open space had increased by 6.3 per cent, from 3340.8 ha (8255 acres) to 3551.65 ha (8776 acres). It was a substantial achievement, But though there had been a brief reference to the desirability of linking open spaces in the 1951 plan, no action had been taken by 1960.