Statues of Buddha have been placed in temple gardens since ancient times and the activity of gardening is closely associated with Buddhism:
1. The Soil represents the fertile ground of Buddha's Mind.
2. A Sangha is in a community of plants
3. Dhamma is the expression of wisdom is the the Open Temple - The Garden.
If a garden is regarded as as a mind then:
1. Paths represent ways to enlightenment.
2. The soil represents the state of our Karma.
3. Planting represents fruitful and blossoming ideas.
4. The seasons represent fluctuations of the mind.