Kensington Gardens adjoins Hyde Park but belonged to Kensington palace. It has many royal associations.
Queen Anne extended the gardens north of the palace and adopted the western section of Hyde park.
Queen Caroline, as George II's wife, commissioned the Round Pond and the Serpentine.
Prince Albert commissioned James Pennethorne in 1860 to design the Italianate water gardens, with sculpture by John Thomas.
Queen Victoria added the Albert Memorial, to commemorate her beloved husband.
Princess Diana used to run in the gardens, incognito. After her death the Diana Memorial Fountain, by Kathryn Gustafson, and the Diana Memorial Playground , by Land Use Consultants, were designed in her memory.
Yet with all these treasures, there is a curious lack of cohesion to Kensington Gardens. Jellicoe's policy of creative conservation could have an application here, taking a fresh look at the integration of the parts with the whole.