221.The gardens at Monceau were originally laid out by Carmontelle; but coming into the possession of the celebrated Egalite (Duke of Orleans in the time of Louis XVI.), he very much enlarged and improved them about the year 1783. After the first revolution, the gardens were turned first into a nursery, and afterwards into public gardens. At the restoration, they became again in the possession of the Orleans family, and were kept in excellent order as English gardens till about the year 1846, when two thirds of the grounds were marked to be sold for building, the gardens being in the suburbs of Paris. In the third revolution of 1848, this place was considerably injured.