333. The English garden at Munich (fig. 84.) is the largest public garden in Germany. It contains about 500 acres, and was laid out in 1789, under the direction of Count Rumford, of whom it contains a handsome monument. The plan was made by Louis Sckell, to whom also a monument is erected in this garden. The surface is flat, but a river, always containing abundance of water, flows through it; and from this a lake of considerable size has been formed, and some cascades. The roads extend four miles. The trees are planted in masses and groups, one sort always prevailing in one place; and the only fault they have is, that this is done in rather too formal a manner. When passing through this garden, we could not help observing the effect of the colour of the stems and branches of the different kinds of trees, even when stripped of their leaves. Cornus sanguinea, a very conspicuous red; Lonicera Xylosteum, white; Salix aurea, yellow; birch stems, white; larch, yellow; Spirï¾µ'a frutex, dwarf and brown; Hippophae rhamnoides, very white, &c. The details of the working plan of this extensive garden will be given in a future department of this work.